**I would like to provide my sincere condolences for the victims of the Davao City bombing where 14 were killed and almost 67 were injured. I offer this article to help prevent further tragedies such as this and provide crucial info for the PNP and NGO Investigative Agencies with their fight on terrorism.**
First, I will say it that from my past experiences and further research, I was able to procure ways to detect/prevent further tragedies caused by bombings and also how to survive it. From field military manuals and civilian distress management; I have compiled tips and advises to ensure safety for the aforementioned tragic event. Hopefully, if this intelligence were to be used, I sincerely hope that it benefit those who read this.
Detection- An art of prevention, not after result.
You must understand that when bombings happen, they were not necessarily made in random. They are precisely planned, coordinated, and ofcourse made to entirely terrorize “certain” people rather than random people.
A group planning a bombing attack does not necessarily have to attack random people per se, they want to, say, get the attention of the leader or certain people tied in with those civilians being bombed. Once that happened, the bombers often do not care about the extent of the damage due to the fact that its not entirely for the community but the “leaders” are their target. Not to kill the leaders, but to demand that they “stay away” from the terrorist’s affairs. Thus, bombers often target indiscriminately of gender or race, but rather the “community” that holds an “idea” or “in ties with an important person with power”.
So in order to detect such indiscriminate bombing with a “random” facade is almost IMPOSSIBLE to detect. I say almost, because detection does not happen while the bombing plan was being enacted but rather, before such plans actually do take i.e. intelligence reports, rumors, word of the mouth, etc…
Thing is, when rumors fly out- odds are- it is quite true. The same goes for bombings, they may just seem bomb scares at first but definitely, it will happen. Time will tell.
As for prevention to ensure protection of the community when there is an event. You have to ensure detection with 2 boundaries, one primary and another secondary.
A primary detection boundary provides early detection by security personnel detail that could do search and seizure in event a bomb was detected on either bags of guests or they may be lying somewhere inconspicuous. For those hidden explosives, a bomb sniffing dog trained to detect explosivescould easily expose such candidates of disaster (especially BLACK POWDER and NITROGLYCRINE, RDX, or the sort…) . Metal detection is almost obsolete but may still help, but bombs now are made almost entirely with improvised components. Some actually use pressure cookers because they are good to hold pressure necessary for explosions. Some actually used pre-packages made with carton box or hard wood to ensure non detection of metal detectors. Some use surplus mortar ammunitions or military ordinance smuggled into the country. Some also use straight up plastic components and such. All of these mentioned items may be hard to detect at first but these items are bulky. A bomber with an ideal to uphold often wants a bigger bomb to explode. May it be suicide or remote activated (by phones or so), they will have a big explosion. Hence, they will be bigger and bulkier compared to a normal package or “stuff” carried by a person. So be wary of people wearing long jackets, big sport or duffle bags, or “fully covered clothing”. Also inspect trashcans, ceilings, vents, unattended boxes, and any large container that could hide potential explosives. As I have said, this could be easily detected by roving K9 Units and thorough inspection… this includes unattended vehicles (motorcycle or cars).
A secondary detection boundary is supposed to ensure that if a “suspected bomber or bomb” potentially enters the a targeted blast zone i.e. “crowds of people”, then its job is to ensure the safety of such zone. In order to prevent such incident of bombing, the secondary boundary must rove around the vicinity and “blend with the crowd” to ensure detection of suspects, not the other way around. Bombers often look around for potential police officers in disguise so in order to this, bombers also blend in with the crowd; same reason why a highly trained agent must comply with utmost secrecy and guise with “attention to detail” of potential bombs or bombers (refer to primary boundary.)
A good suggestion is equip a police officer with a “civilian guise” and with him, a highly trained bomb sniffing dog with a size of a full grown Shih Tzu.
Remote bombers often use a cellular phone or a radio transmitter to activate IEDs or improvised explosive devices. They would often blend in the dark or crowd and they would activate the explosive device as soon as their objective was given. Thus they are harder to detect, but their explosives could be detected by sniffers because they will plant explosives also on hidden locations such as trash cans or boxes or bags. Be wary of unattended items.
Suicide Bombers often would strap themselves with a bomb thus they make measure to NOT be detected at longer ranges, but their somewhat bulky or uncomfortable attire makes them suspects for such activity at close range. This could be detective locally by primary means but more so vigilantly by secondary. A bomb sniffing dog is highly required and attention to detail for suspicious “clothing or baggage”
Potential bombers often do not know about these, but if they do, then will have more reasons now to worry, hence, creating less insurgence of such bombing activities or they may do it rashly compromising their operation prematurely. This is the psychological prevention part of the detection.
Prevention – the systemic approach to survival.
Preventing potential IED or bombings is easier said than done. The Philippines itself is a people oriented country meaning that their culture relies much on socializing. From parties to debate, to concerts and community festivals; the crowds here never gets tired of the hustle and buzzle of daily social living. That is where the problem about preventing bombings lie.
Bombers often targets crowds, as I have said, not to injure and kill the crowds itself, but the idea or the representation that the crowd happens to refer or portray. Thus, attacking not only the community, but also the powerful people behind it.
In doing so, bombers neglect the collateral damage that the bombs may do. From the young to the old, male or female, religious or not; all of them will be regrettably offered to the table of idealistic sacrifice- out of their own volition.
In order to prevent this, the government agencies must uphold the aforementioned detection detail with utmost respect to potentiality.
As for the civilian people who are daily living a blissful life or thinking that “such tragedies are not gonna happen” on their lives; that is a big mistake to do on this troubled times.
Bombers and terrorist will not just do one or two bombings. Unless they are eradicated and neutralized, they will never stop their trail of terrorizing civilians. That’s is why, if it happened ONE TIME, it will definitely be followed again. It’s just going to be a question of WHEN and WHERE.
“When” is quite hard to provide information into. It’s like telling when is a thief would strike on your busy lifestyle. Thus, the “where” part would provide crucial info to ensure one’s safety rather than figuring when would a bombing would happen. Vigilance would still be the key to your survival.
So, stay away from these locations as they are potential targets for Terrorist Bombings:
- Public Transportation Stations (LRT, MRT, ports, bus stations, etc..)
- Police HQ
- Public Events (especially Political ones)
All crowd accumulating areas are all potential targets for terrorist threats and bombing insurgence. As a rule of the thumb, I highly suggest to “STAY AWAY FROM CROWDED AREAS” for the time being. We do not know when a bombing would happen thus, it will be safer to stay away from potential target areas.
I am fully aware that some places can’t be helped to be attended into. In such cases- such as the church, market, and schools- detection and vigilance would be your tools for survival (as I have mentioned from above detection details).
But when detection and prevention fails… one must be able to survive the incoming tragedy that may ensue from such atrocities of men. Read below…
Survival Methods in case of Bombings:
- Ever since world war 1, there had been advancements on bomb makings, but their system of injury prevention is still the same: A. Drop down prone , B. Face Away from the blast, C. Feet at the Blast. D. Hands over Head
- After the blast, take a deep breath and hen, do a quick “Zero- 5- 25”; this is a checking method to check for potential bombs. Zero means directly under your feet, checking for damage and blast and casualties. Then for 5 feet up to 25 feet, you will be checking for casualties and also “secondary” bombs.
- Usually there is a secondary bomb after the first initial bomb blast. Secondary bombs are detonated after the first bomb and is utilized to maximize damage to potential casualties by funneling the killzone from the primary blast.
- There would be a lot of casualties after the bombs have settled their explosion, you have to check for tertiary damages such as fuel or electricity (from lines or transportation) that may cause further casualties than the blast itself.
- If you are unharmed, quickly but carefully exit the scene and ask for further medical assistance for support (dial 911 or 117 in the Philippines).
- Remember to report these 4 things to the Authority: location of the blast, time of the incident, initial estimate number of casualties, and take note of suspicious suspects of the incident (or nature of the bombing).
- If you have sustained damages, try as much as possible to crawl out of the scene to ensure higher survival rate, a few may die at this point on, but a secondary blast or third degree damages (electricity,smoke or fire) will 100% terminate you.
- If you were trapped, incapacitated, or in no condition to egress (escape) from the scene, stay calm and call for help via 911 or 117 service. If your phone was destroyed, and you were trapped in a closed space (i.e. underneath rubble or if it happens on trains), then Shout for help if you can, but if you can’t due to sustained damages then…
- Provide an SOS sound instead or use a whistle for help. The SOS is a tap of quick 3 dits or dots (***), 3 dats or dash (—), then 3 dits or dots (***). Think of this tone as the same as “the 3210 Nokia SMS tone” that you hear, with the addition of a “3rd dash or dat” in the middle. (***_ _ _ ***) ex. DitDitDit Dat Dat Dat DitDitDit.
- This is the reason I always carry with me bandages and have an up to date CPR certificate to ensure proper knowledge of resuscitation and wound first aid. It is also a plus to know how to reset a dislocated joint.
With that, my fellow readers, on these times of need, prayer and unity will prevail. Be informed, be vigilant, and always be ready at all times.
President Duterte, I offer my services to you if you need further support.
For further instructions and consultations, you could contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or COMMENT below to ask for my services.
Let’s be free in the Philippines from threats of terrorism.