How to create Duck Poultry Business. (Duck Raising)

For our tutorial on how to create a Duck business (Duck Raising Business) I am glad to say that this is one of the most lucrative business in the Philippines. Balot, Penoy, and Pulang Itlog (Salted Eggs) all came from the same source: DUCKS!

I have my own duck business before until Yolanda pretty much destroyed everything, but hey, it was fun while it lasted πŸ™‚

If you have read my ebook, I also covered how to establish this business including what to build and what to expect in order to be successful on your duck poultry business.Β

So why duck business is lucrative? Simple: Filipinos like duck eggs. Actually most food businesses in the Philippines somewhat uses duck eggs but also duck meat. If you look at some fast food chains, they have this “leche” desserts that have duck egg ingredients on them. From bread, to dessert, to meat products – its all in the duck egg.

Another question is: How much is the initial cost to start?Β

When we started, we started with 30 ducks with 5 ganders. Fences and a Shed, and initial feeds for the next 2 weeks. It costs us roughly 50,000 Php (plus/minus).

Follow these steps for starters and you may be able to create your own Duck Business:

duckraising

Above is an Example of a good duck stable/farm to be made for business.

• Find a location away from urban areas.

Ducks, by definition, are peaceful creatures and likes socializing. Humans are not one of their best guests though. They get stressed out very quickly and when they do, it affects their production of eggs. The same goes with noisy urban areas such as factories or pretty much any place where there is a lot of commotion. The location must also be large (somewhere around 50 sqm. for 25 ducks) so as to promote a spacious and relaxing habitat for them. So this business will rely mostly on location. Make sure you provide fences too, enough that a dog may not be able to enter it. You could use stick fences, but on our duck farm, we used fishing nets posted with bamboo poles- cheaper and could be accessed easily by the care taker.

• Water should be Nearby.

Water is one of the greatest commodity that Ducks will need to grow. If you raise them at a farm area, the water will attract snails. Snails provide nutrients such as Calcium that helps on good production of healthy duck eggs especially the shell. Water should be clean and irrigated from a nearby water source or atleast a natural source (spring, river, etc…). If there are no natural water source, then you could make one by digging a hole an creating an artificial pond. However, be cautious though as this process might contaminate the pond because of lack of running water. (This happened to us before and it terminated 12 of our ducks in a span of a day.) So decide wisely. Actually, a lot of our friends on this business before said that swimming water for ducks are not a necessity for production ducks. So I guess it depends on who operates the farm and their preferences.

• Feed them Naturally and Plenty

Common feed formulas could be bought from a nearby feed store in the Philippines but they could be very expensive. They promise good return, however, such feeds usually cannot cut the cost and become a burden on a later time. Usually we mix our own feeds and it is preferable as it saves a lot of money. Usually wheat grains or corn grains mixed with crushed crab shells, are good mixtures for feeds. So try one that results in better egg production. Remember, ducks who produce good eggs are good ducks.

• Sell them on a Higher Price

If you feed them fairly well, they will also produce good and healthy eggs. If female ducks can no longer lay eggs, you could sell them as culls for Duck Meat. On the other hand, duck eggs will fair a good price in the market.

We had before a tricycle and we collect the eggs (about 800 of them) every week or so and then we sell them to the highest bidder in the market. Usually, this is where you will get a lot of patrons and friends on which could give you a good deal while providing you with that good ole’ filipino hospitality.

By the time we have a good going (we had about 250 ducks then), we rack in over 10,000+ Php from the sell out, 5,500 Php for the transport and feeds, and that leaves us 4,500 Php for the saving. Usually we give 1,500 for the labor and that’s it. So more or less we get 3,000 weekly. Good money! And we do not do the work ourselves, we just have a care taker that feeds them and we just come by for collections til later on.

• Β Problems with Duck business.

There is bound to be a problem especially for poultry business such as this. One of them is sickness. As I have mentioned before, ducks are very sensitive to their food, and it affects their production but also their health. Care must be taken for them to not get into any disease, so stick with the plan.

Noise too is a big factor. Our ducks before pretty much stops their egg production whenever a storm is incoming (not all ducks, but MOST). If it is thunderous or there is a howling wind that exemplifies a big storm, definitely, the ducks will stop producing eggs. Fireworks is a big no no also. So do not expect any production when it’s New Year.

Other Animals can contribute to a loss of egg production. Such as stray dogs or even,- Β and I’ve seen it- SNAKES. Yes! Big, heavy, and slithering old Python that is common here in the Philippines. Dogs could be easily fended off with fences, but snakes could go to the smallest holes and could bite your Ducks (on our case, got eaten by that pesky snake.). So make sure that the stable is secured as I have included the fencing method on the picture above.

To sum it all, Duck raising either for meat or egg could be a nice business for you. The return of investment might be low at first but rest assured, after for a while, it will then turn to a greater profit. You have to be patient on this business, look for a good season to do this, and just remember though that not all business may succeed every time. Other than that, Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

If you really want to be successful on this business, go ahead and get my ebook to ensure success not only this business, but also other ventures you may want to get in the Philippines.

duckman
The Duck Knight: Raising

-adminj

adminjay

"Jay Penn" is a Financial Literacy Mentor and Investor who is best known for his Book "Polymath's Profit". He is also an expert in the field of Maritime, Engineering, and Emergency Medical from his past careers. Experienced with Security Analysis, Crisis Prevention, Contingency Planning, and Global Maritime Distress Safety System. Currently instructs Nautical Sciences and is an avid Researcher of Business and Economics. He is also recognized as the "Top Maritime Instructor" for 3 consecutive years in the Maritime Education from 2014; raising the standard for the Maritime Industry and Training.

27 thoughts on “How to create Duck Poultry Business. (Duck Raising)

• May 1, 2016 at 4:35 am

Excellent blog you have here.. It’s hard to find high-quality writing like yours these days. I seriously appreciate people like you! Take care!!

• May 1, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Thank you! I appreciate the comment. It is my passion to write articles about businesses and I hope that my experience, both good and bad, may help those who read my articles. Please subscribe for further updates and if you may be interested, feel free to look for my upcoming ebook too. Thank you again.

• May 19, 2016 at 11:24 pm

Oh my goodness! Awesome article dude! Many thanks, However I am having issues with your RSS. I don’t know why I cannot join it. Is there anyone else getting identical RSS issues? Anyone that knows the answer will you kindly respond? Thanks!!

• June 14, 2016 at 1:00 pm

No matter whether some one searches for
    his required thing, therefore he/she wants being available that in more detail,
    therefore that thing is maintained over here.

• June 15, 2016 at 5:31 pm

My family members whenever claim that I am just killing my time
    here at net, however I know I am just getting familiarity constantly by
    reading such good articles or reviews.

• June 17, 2016 at 5:05 pm

Magnificent goods from you, man. We have understand your stuff previous to
    and you’re just extremely fantastic. I actually like what you have acquired here, certainly like
    what you happen to be saying and how for which you say it.
    You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to help keep it smart.

I can’t wait to read much more on your part. This is certainly actually a tremendous site.

• March 19, 2017 at 4:09 am

Thanks for the information adminjay,

by the way, I am interested in setting a successful duck raising / egg laying business as my father told me about this. It would be a great help for us if I can contact you personally or by email.
    as of now I am in the process of acquiring skills and knowledge on how to start up with duck raising business so that I can lower the risk of failing into this kind of venture.

Hope to hear from you soon,

• March 19, 2017 at 9:04 am

@ Judz

Good Afternoon,
      Thank you for contributing by commenting to this article. I sure will try my best to provide you with any consultation if you like.
      You can just comment here and ask your questions too if you’d like.

So let me ask you this questions here:
      1. What’s your capital?
      2. Do you have any idea on location?
      3. Do you have plans on where to distribute your goods?

Knowing these 3 things will help you achieve a sound business plan. Let me know if you want know more.

-Jay πŸ™‚

• September 3, 2017 at 9:48 am

hi i have this business, i agree that it is a good business but there are some season and time that they stop laying eggs. may i know if this is just a normal time for them? and what will be the solution or anything i can do to lessen the cost.

• September 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Hi cassandra, it’s quite normal for ducks to recover after laying their eggs. Usually a few days to a week. Just make sure that they are not stressed out or startled – that’s why ducks usually have a peak of laying usually when it’s not in rainy season. πŸ™‚ Hopefully it helps.

• September 10, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Hi admin. How much do you think it would cost to start up with 1000 ducks? And hiw many months for roi if i will sell the eggs? Thanks just estimates would be ok..

• September 11, 2017 at 11:30 am

When we started our duck business before, we bought the ducks for 95 each. We had about 250 of them. I wouldn’t suggest 1,000 ducks immediately, remember ducks are stress prone… they might not lay egg if it is too crowded. As for months of ROI; including the expense on feeds, labor, and other medical issues – I would say 2 years to 3 years.

• September 13, 2017 at 6:44 pm

Noted thanks sir.. yung 95/duck sir ready to lay na po? What year? Planning po ksi to buy from chick then paalaga until ready to lay na po while ongoing ang construction sa bahay nila..

• September 15, 2017 at 10:20 am

Yes, at that price the duck should be laying already. But it depends on the season too.

• October 1, 2017 at 8:41 am

I’m doing a research in duct business (For egg business) And i therefore conclude that this is a lucrative business , Can you help me admin where i can buy ducklings in visayas? Thank you so much

• October 3, 2017 at 12:50 pm

Hi! thanks for the reply clark. I only knew suppliers in Luzon and usually, when you talk to suppliers of ducks, often they are referred by “feeds store”. So I’ll start there. If not, then look at OLX.com – had my first supplier found there. πŸ™‚ Happy Business. And by the way if you want to learn more on business please look at our store here or at our facebook to get our book POLYMATH’S PROFIT : facebook.com/livinglifephilippines

Have a good Business! πŸ™‚

• November 12, 2017 at 3:53 pm

😍😍😍 God bless you always…

• November 25, 2017 at 7:00 am

Hi, thank you so much for the information adminjay
    Actually it helps me. My father told me last month that he will raise ducks and I have no idea that time if it work or not. Now that I read your article I have learn an idea how and I can help my father to raise ducks. It also good in our location because we have a rice farm, there we have a problem in minimizing the population of snail.
    May I ask question, what season is best to start in raising ducks?

• November 26, 2017 at 3:41 am

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the comment, glad that I could help. Hopefully your duck farm becomes successful.
      Yes, the ducks should eat the snails and you’ll also solve the problem of them.

The best season to start raising a duck would be at the time where rains are not prominent like in february to june. When its rainy season,
      it’s best to take care of them by lessening their stress πŸ™‚

BTW my book is out – “Polymath’s Profit” it’s a guide on how to use your talents to create money and success; it’s a must read if you want to establish a business and investments in the Future. Just message us there at facebook and we DELIVER anywhere in the Philippines.

• December 7, 2017 at 1:08 pm

Hi adminjay! this article really helps me a lot. My dad is planning to start a poultry duck business by next month. But he has no idea at all.

Do you have a book where can i learn more about this business? And do you know anyone where we can buy ducks? Thanks and Godbless!

Please email me @ villanueva.emilio@ymail.com

• December 16, 2017 at 7:28 am

Hi admin, I am currently making a study on duck farming for my Masters. I hope you could help me on my research. May I ask you some questions? I hope you don’t mind. =)
    1.) For your start up, what type of ducks did you have? How big was your fence?
    2.) Where did you distribute your duck eggs?

Thank you so much. =)

• December 28, 2017 at 7:19 am

Sorry late reply @Ayen,

Anways, let me answer you:
      1. We just used the common/native duck (anas luzonica) as they are much sturdy and less stressed. Fence was about hmm.. 50sq.
      2. We distribute it locally via any market that we have “connections” with i.e. usually provincial markets.

Want to learn how to establish connections? Get my book Polymath’s Profitfacebook.com/livinglifephilippines (Order by Messaging Us)

• February 19, 2018 at 7:13 am

Good pm po. Gusto ko po sana mag alaga ng itik kaso wala po akong lupa na accessible para sa plano kung itikan,meron akong sariling lupa pero walking distance at di mapasokan ng motor vehicle. Ok lang po ba na umupa ako ng lupa na ako mismo ang mag alaga? or yun nalang lupa ko na di accessible at mag hire ako ng care taker? magkano po estimate budget to start this business? gusto ko po sana mag start ng 100 heads or more. Salamat at God bless

• February 19, 2018 at 10:09 am

Good pm Sir Jc, syempre mas maganda ang sa sarili mong lupa kayo gumawa ng itikan… dahil ang pera na makukuha baka sa renta pa lang ng lupa mula sa iba ay maubos lang. kaya hindi ideal ang rumenta lang ng lupa unless na malaki na at may experience na kayo (say 5 years). Also, dapat kayo po ang nagaalaga ng itik – wag po kayong gagawa ng business na hindi ninyo alam or ipapahawak lang sa iba… mawawala lang ang pera dahil maraming hindi nyo pwedeng asahan (at pagkatiwalaan) sa negosyo, lalo na sa itikan i.e. RISKY. Mag start lang kayo sa 20 muna, tapos sa bakuran para mapraktis kayo… tapos, gawing 50, hanggang maging 100. Wag basta basta mag start ng business ng malaki, marami na ang nawalan ng pera at nabaon sa utang sa maling start ng negosyo. πŸ™‚ Gobless.